River Bend Foodbank leads the community-wide effort to end hunger in eastern Iowa and western Illinois. We are the largest hunger-relief organization in the Quad Cities and surrounding communities.
Together, River Bend Foodbank and our partners provided more meals to hungry people than ever before in FY18. For the year, we distributed over 12.9 million meals, which was 15% more than last year and 75% more than just three years ago. We do this by:
• Leveraging partnerships to help people in need stabilize their lives.
• Engaging the public in hunger issues.
• Advocating on behalf of hungry people.
• Distributing surplus food through a network of 300 hunger-relief agency partners and our own feeding programs.
We are the most cost-effective distributor of donated food in the community, generating five meals with every donated dollar. We serve in partnership with 300 partner agencies: food pantries, homeless and domestic violence shelters, soup kitchens, childcare agencies, after-school snack programs, schools, residential treatment facilities and more.
The Foodbank offers proven programs that quickly move the needle on the Meal Gap- the number of meals still being missed:
• Backpack Program: provides a sack of nutritious, easy-to-prepare foods to children who would otherwise go hungry. School staff identify students who are likely going without meals when school is out and school feeding programs are unavailable.
• Mobile Pantry Programs: Volunteers distribute a truckload of food to clients through a farmers market-style distribution. Each distribution provides 12,000 meals feeding hundreds of people.
• School Pantry Program: Offers a safe place within a local school where students and their families are able to access a pantry. Students often have younger siblings or other family members who are missing meals. All families have student(s) at the school and are selected by school administrators.
• Senior Hunger Initiative: Serves residents 60 years and older—the fastest rising population of chronically hungry people in our community. We partner with senior living complexes to bring food to them.
We are focused on the vision of a hunger-free Iowa and Illinois. We have a huge heart for feeding hungry people and will not stop until everyone is fed.